Flexible Housing is housing in which the assignment process is not determined by gender. Any student, regardless of gender, may choose to live with each other in the same room and/or same space.
Students may choose to apply for Flexible Housing if they meet the following criteria:
- Currently live on campus.
- Eligible for on-campus housing.This process is only open to returning students who would normally qualify to reapply for on campus housing.
Flexible Housing Policies
1. All applicants must agree to live with each other and to the policies/procedures of Flexible Housing before entering into housing selection.
2. Should an opening occur within the flexible housing unit the space will be filled by one of the following methods:
a. The students in the unit will have 3 business days to pull in another roommate to fill the vacancy.This person must either be currently living on campus or eligible for on-campus housing.
B. At time of application students within the group may all agree to a roommate who also applied for flexible housing be placed within the unit.
C. If the students in the group do not pull in a roommate nor do they agree to have an approved applicant placed to fill the vacancy then the unit will move from flexible housing to traditional housing.This will more often than not result in students being forced to move to different housing.The HSC will work with the students to facilitate moving students, if necessary, to appropriate traditional housing.
d. Housing Services reserves the right to consolidate students in flexible housing if necessary.
3. Room change request policy and procedure will not change, however, students will have the option to move within flexible and traditional housing as long as the criteria is met and agreed upon
4. Applying for Flexible Housing is not a guarantee of space.
Flexible Housing Procedures
1. Students who wish to live together in flexible housing must first form a group of four or six and designate a group leader. Groups must fill an entire unit.
2. The group leader will download a Flexible Housing Application from the Housing website and submit it to one of the neighborhood desks no later than Wednesday, February 4, at 12PM.
3. The HSCs and Assistant Director of Housing Services will meet and give the ADRLs the groups they need to contact and meet with.
4. The entire student group must meet with one of the ADRLs to discuss the implications of flexible housing policies and procedures no later than February 13.
5. Applicants will be given the option to have a random individual student (who also agrees to the policies of Flexible Housing) placed with them if a vacancy within the unit were to occur. The ADRL will discuss with them the pros/cons of this decision.
6. If all students involved agree to the terms of flexible housing then the ADRL will approve their application. The ADRL will record the group members in a spreadsheet and have each person sign the Flexible Housing Agreement.
7. The group leader will then receive instruction via email from Housing Services on how to continue with housing selection. Housing Selection for groups entering into Flexible Housing must select their space by setting up an appointment with the designated HSC during their assigned selection time slot.
8. After selection all students in Flexible Housing will proceed as any other GMU housing student (pay the deposit, etc.)
The application can be found here: Flexible Housing Applicaiton
Remember: If you apply for Flexible Housing you must still complete an online housing application by Friday, February 13th at 5PM. Please apply as an individual, not a group.
Please print out the application and turn in to any of the three neighborhood desks no later than 12 noon on Wednesday, February 4.