JOIN OUR TEAM!
Apply for a position with Housing and Residence Life, which employs more than 200 students each year in graduate assistantships and part-time positions.
We want you if you're a motivated leader with such skills as dependability, initiative, integrity, and discretion. If you're also a natural organizer and communicator, all the better. Working for us offers:
- Competitive pay
- Locations across campus
- Hours to fit busy schedules
- Leadership opportunities
- Skill development
- Advancement opportunities
- Résumé-building experience
- The chance to develop lifelong friendships.
Some positions are open every year; others come open periodically. Due to the competitive nature of our processes, we are not able to guarantee interviews for all applicants. The RA, LCRA and CA application opens again next October 2023. Continue to check this site and follow us @masonhousing for updates!
Positions in Housing and Residence Life include:
Resident Assistants (RAs) and Learning Community Resident Assistants (LC RAs) are academic-year student employees within the Housing and Residence Life (HRL) department who help build, guide, and support a community of residents within the residence halls at George Mason University. LC RAs serve a special population of students who live in an LC and collaborates with the LC partner on the development of the LC. RAs and LC RAs dedicate their time and energy to the residents of their community, ensuring that students have a healthy, safe, and supportive environment in which to learn and develop. Both positions are expected to be visible in their communities and serve as available resources within their residence hall through peer to peer communication, residential curriculum initiatives and programming. Please see the position descriptions below for more information about the Resident Assistant roles.
A Community Assistant (CA) is an academic-year student employee within Housing and Residence Life (HRL) that helps build, guide, and support a community of residents residing in the residence halls at George Mason University. Community Assistants dedicate their time and energy to the residents of their community by ensuring that residents have a healthy, safe, and supportive environment in which to learn and develop. CAs are expected to assist with overall residential health and safety and provide operational support for the residence halls. Please see the position description below for more information about the Community Assistant role.
Student Staff Application Process (RA, CA, LC RA )
All applicants must follow the steps below to be considered for a student staff position.
- Read through the position descriptions for the 3 opportunities (RA, LC RA, and CA) and decide on 1 or 2 roles you are most interested in. If you have specific questions about these positions, please reach out to ResStaff@gmu.edu
- Information sessions will be available once the application launches, either virtually or in-person as space allows. Please check back on Mason360 for more information
- Please visit Handshake for more information and fill out the application in your StarRez Housing Portal. The application should only take a few minutes to fill out. You are able to preference up to 2 positions
- Once you’ve successfully completed the application you will receive information regarding the required Interview Workshop, and how to register/complete this requirement
- Candidates advancing to the interview round will receive more information on meeting with professional staff members to answer questions relating to the position they are most qualified for early in the Spring 2023 semester
- We will do our best to update candidates by late February 2023 if they were hired, given a spot on our alternate list, or were not selected this year. Due to the size of our applicant pool, we may not respond to all applications. Please note that the housing application for next year will close in early February, so any candidate looking to live on campus should still complete an application and follow all of their processes.
If you have any questions about this process, the roles, please reach out to ResStaff@gmu.edu
To hold a Student Staff position, a student must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student. Students enrolled in more than 18 credits per semester must seek prior approval from their immediate supervisor
- At a minimum, students are required to maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and a 2.5 semester GPA throughout employment
- Must have reached sophomore standing by the start of employment or completed two (2) academic semesters at Mason
- Must successfully complete a background check before beginning their position
- All Housing and Residence Life student staff are required to uphold and execute all Housing and Residence Life policies
To hold a Student Staff position, a student must fulfill the following co-curricular criteria:
- Ability to commit to the position for a full academic year
- Must remain in good standing with the University and with Housing and Residence Life
Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in termination or rescinding of employment.
All applicants must attend an information session. Information can be found on Mason360.