How to Apply to a Living Learning Community
It is easy to apply to join a Living Learning Community! Log into the housing application and select LLCs, follow the steps to complete your application. The 2018-2019 LLC Application opens on December 15.
Freshman students applying to an LLC can access the LLC Application via MyHousing. The Freshman LLC application has a priority deadline of May 1, 2018.
Upper-level students applying to an LLC can access the LLC Application via eLiving. The Upper-level LLC application is due February 2, 2018.
LLC Application Questions:
In the LLC application, you will be asked to complete two short-answer questions for the LLC of your choice. The short-answers cannot exceed 2000 characters. The 2018-2019 questions are below:
- Please outline what you hope to gain from your experience as a member of the Arts LLC at Mason.
- Describe why you want to participate in the Arts LLC and how you plan to contribute to your LLC community.
- Describe what excites you for business and how your interest in business developed.
- Describe what you hope to gain from your experience as a member of the Business LLC at Mason and how you plan to contribute to your LLC community (both in and out of the classroom).
- How will the Global Patriots LLC make you a better leader?
- Confidence and curiosity are the two most important traits for a student in the Global Patriots LLC. State whether you think this is true or false, and why you think so.
- Why did you apply to George Mason University?
- If selected, how would you benefit from being a member of the living learning community? How will it help you succeed in college – academically, socially, and as an individual at Mason?
Volgenau School of Engineering:
- Describe what excites you about your intended major and explain how being a member of the Volgenau School of Engineering Living Learning Community will help you achieve your goals.
- Describe how you would contribute to a dynamic and engaged Volgenau School of Engineering Living Learning Community.
Environment & Sustainability:
- What has your involvement been with environmentally related service and/or educational opportunities?
- How does the Environment and Sustainability LLC relate to your academic interests and/or your future aspirations
Leadership & Community Engagement:
- What do you hope to gain from your participation in the Leadership and Community Engagement LLC? How do you plan to contribute to the community?
- What social issue are you most passionate about and why? What can you do to affect social change around this particular issue?
- Describe the personal growth you are wanting for yourself in regards to learning and practicing mindfulness, stress management, mediation skills, and positive psychology.
- If you are returning to the community, please describe some of your mindfulness practices that you do regularly and would be willing to share with the community.
- What do you hope to gain out of being in the Outdoor Adventure LLC?
- What will you contribute to the Outdoor Adventure LLC community?
- Why do you want to live in the LGBTQ+ LLC?
- What do you as an individual bring (or add) to a community?
- What is one goal you have for the 2018-2019 academic year?
- Describe why you would like the Upper-level Honors LLC in Eastern Shore to focus more on mindfulness. In your description, please try to include at least one specific way in which you would contribute to a community that prioritizes self-care and well-being.
- “Tolerance, inter-cultural dialogue, and respect for diversity are more essential than ever in a world where peoples are becoming more and more closely interconnected”.-Kofi Annan. What is your reaction to this quote? In your response, please avoid generics and focus on one particular aspect of his remark. For example, “Annan’s use of ‘inter-cultural dialogue’ resonates with me because…”
Volgenau School of Engineering:
- Describe what excites and motivates you to continue in your major and explain how being a member of the Volgenau School of Engineering Living Learning Community will help you achieve your goals.
- As an upper level student describe what your role will be in relation to the first year students to create a dynamic and engaged Volgenau School of Engineering Living Learning Community?