Both First-Year and Upper-Level students will be able to apply for their choice of Learning Community via the housing application in the StarRez Housing Portal Monday, December 13th, 2021 for the 2022-2023 academic year. However, since LCs are required for First-Year students and optional for Upper-Level students, the process is slightly different.
When filling out the housing application in the StarRez Housing Portal, First-Year students will be brought to a page that lists information about every First-Year Learning Community offered for the 2022-2023 academic year. Students will select their top three preferences, understanding that if their top preference is full or if they do not meet the requirements (e.g. major/minor requirements), they will be placed in a subsequent choice. Students will then be directed to sign an agreement relating to Learning Communities and continue with the rest of the housing application.
- The Spring 2022 Housing Application will be available in the Housing Portal beginning November 2nd, 2021.
- The 2022-2023 Housing Application will be available in the Housing Portal beginning December 13th, 2021.
When filling out the housing application in the StarRez Housing Portal, Upper-Level students will be brought to a page asking if they are interested in applying to be part of a Learning Community. If they select “yes,” they will be brought to a page listing information about every Upper-Level Community offered for the 2022-2023 academic year. Students will select one community and on the subsequent page, will answer a few short-answer questions about being a member of that community. Students will then be directed to sign an agreement relating to Learning Communities and continue with the rest of the housing application.
December 13th - Application Opens
February 1st - Application Closes for Upper-Level Students
February 18th - Student Notified of LC Offer
February 21st - Deadline to Respond to Offer
February 25th - Upper-Level LC Grouping Begins
March 10th - March 12th - Upper-Level LC Room Assignments
Accepting Your LC Offer (For Upper-Level Students Only)
On February 18th, students who applied for Upper-Level Learning Communities will find out of they have been extended an invitation off to join the LC. The Upper-Level Learning Community acceptance process can be competitive, so we recommend that students check their emails and accept their offers before the deadline.
By accepting an offer invitation, students will:
Fully participate in floor programs and building events, as well as make a genuine effort to work with and learn from your fellow community members and those residing in other LCs
Attend and engage in off-campus programs and excursions when offered
Fulfill the obligations of the LC Agreement that you signed during the application process
To accept an LC offer, students must complete the following steps by 12:00pm (noon) on Monday, February 21st.
Log in to the StarRez Housing Portal
Select your 2022-2023 Housing Application
Navigate to the “Learning Community Offer” page
Choose either “Accept Offer” or “Decline Offer” from the dropdown menu
Click the blue “Respond to Learning Community Offer” button
If you accept an offer, please note the following information:
- Once you accept an LC offer, you are accepting LC housing for the entire academic year. You will not be able to decline at a later date to join non-LC housing.
- Accepting an LC offer does not guarantee placement in an LC. Once an offer is accepted, you will be confirmed in the LC based on spaces available at the time of the offer acceptance. If no spaces remain in the LC at the time of the offer acceptance, you will be notified via your Mason email and given information about the general housing process.
If you decline an offer, please note the following information:
- Learning Community applicants who decline the offer to live in an LC for the 2022-2023 academic year would become a part of our general housing selection process. If you decline your LC offer, please keep an eye on your Mason email address for further instructions and information.