Gender Inclusive Housing
Mason Offers Options
Gender inclusive housing is an on-campus residence option in which any students, regardless of gender, may choose to share the same room or apartment.
Flexible living environments provide a range of options that respond to students' diverse backgrounds, interests, preferences, and needs in a thoughtful way. Mason offers gender inclusive housing because we've had requests for such an option and think that formalizing a process for students who seek this type of living arrangement is the best way to make it work.
Students may choose to apply for gender inclusive housing if they:
- Currently live on campus.
- Are eligible for on-campus housing for the next academic year. This option is only open to returning students who qualify to reapply for on-campus housing.
Applying for gender inclusive housing does not guarantee a space.
No student will be assigned to a gender-neutral living situation without their express consent.
Who Is Eligible
This option will be available to returning sophomores, juniors, and seniors who must enter the selection process with four or six apartment/suite mates. Our Housing staff will work with any first-year or transfer students individually if a special need is identified. Students who wish to indicate they would like gender inclusive housing or would like to live in a gender inclusive housing space can indicate their participation on their housing application.
To ensure that our students do not enter this agreement lightly, Housing developed an application process that includes a special agreement that must be signed by all students wishing to select their assignment through the Gender Inclusive Housing option. Housing will check in with group members periodically to see how things are going.
If Issues Arise
Students will have the option to dissolve their group and move into more traditional housing if the gender inclusive housing arrangement does not work.
It is the students' choice to tell their parent or guardian about their decision to live in a gender-neutral housing. We encourage students to maintain an open dialogue with their families so that they can be supportive of their housing decision.
All upper-class suites and apartments that are open to gender-neutral housing have single-use bathrooms (one toilet and one shower).
We discourage students of any sexual orientation who are in a relationship from living together in campus housing. However, out of respect for student privacy, we will not question the student's motives for requesting gender-neutral housing.
All applicants must agree to live with each other and agree to follow all policies/procedures. Should an opening occur within the gender inclusive unit, the space will be filled by one of the following methods:
- Students in the unit will have three business days to notify housing of another roommate to fill the vacancy. This person must either be currently living on campus or eligible for on-campus housing.
- Students within the group may all agree to a roommate who also applied for gender inclusive housing.
- If the students in the group do not select another roommate or agree to have an approved applicant placed to fill the vacancy, the unit will move from gender inclusive housing to traditional gender-based housing. This often results in students being reassigned or moved to different spaces. The Housing Services Coordinator will work with students to facilitate any necessary moves.
- Housing and Residence Life reserves the right to consolidate students in gender inclusive housing if necessary.
Room change request policies and procedures will not change; however, students will have the option to move within gender inclusive and traditional housing, as long as all criteria are met.
- Students who wish to live in gender inclusive housing must identify a group and designate a group leader.
- Groups must fill an entire unit.
- Groups unable to find an available unit with adequate space, will be required to proceed through Housing Selection as individuals.
- Each member of the gender inclusive housing group must log into StarRez and complete a gender inclusive housing application and pay the $300 deposit.
- Each gender inclusive housing applicant will receive instructions via email from Housing on how to continue with grouping and housing selection. The process will mirror general room selection.
- After room selection, students in gender inclusive housing will proceed as any other Mason Housing student.