Learning Communities at Mason
A Learning Community (LC) is a group of students intentionally living together on campus who have a shared interest in an academic, identity, or interest theme. We provide LC options for all these aspects: academic, identity, and interest.
Learning Communities offer an inclusive environment that promotes critical thinking skills and increased enjoyment of living on campus. Research shows that LCs offer one-on-one interactions with faculty and staff members and exciting opportunities for academic and extracurricular activities!
All communities are led by a team of supportive students and staff committed to providing members with a space for personal growth and academic excellence. Living in an LC gives students the chance to live amongst their peers and find their place within the Mason community.
When living in an LC, students will join like-minded peers to explore their passion areas on a deeper level, connect to vital campus resources, and grow both in and out of the classroom. Students in the same learning communities live together in a residence hall, which makes it easier to make connections within the Mason community.
Three Types of Learning Communities (LCs)
Benefits of Joining a Learning Community
- A supportive, educational, and exciting experience with a community of peers
- A team of dedicated staff that ensures a positive and supportive student experience
- Fun, engaging activities that focus on the interest of student's specific community
- Opportunities to connect with other students
- Mental Health resources from CAPS foster the well-being of the diverse Mason community through psychological, outreach, and consultation services.
- Access to academic resources and support from tutors, campus resources, and faculty
- Interaction with like-minded individuals so that students can engage their passions and learn outside of the classroom
- Mentoring from upper-level students who have experience in the LC topic
- Events and programs tailored to the LC by content experts connected to that LC