Residence Hall Policies 


We want you and the rest of the university community to flourish and thrive. That won't happen unless we set up policies and limitations on what can occur on campus. We expect you to uphold and maintain the highest of standards. You've accomplished a lot by becoming a student at Mason, so we believe in you.

When you become a resident, you sign our Housing Agreement. Take a moment to read it, as it contains the terms and conditions that you're expected to follow while you live here.

We also have a Resident Student Handbook (PDF). If you have a question, talk to a Housing & Residence Life Staff Member, such as your Resident Assistant or Community Assistant.

These policies are in place for the benefit of everyone, so we don’t take them lightly.

Policy Violations

Violations of the Student Code of Conduct or Residence Life Standards in the Residential Student Handbook may be referred to the Student Conduct Office or the Residential Adjudication Board (ResBoard) for adjudication. Mason has a process in place to resolve conduct cases. To learn more about the Conduct Process, we encourage you to go to the Office of Student Conduct’s website. There you will learn more about the Conduct Process and the appeals process.

Renters Insurance

Renters insurance is strongly recommended for all residential students to protect personal belongings while in the residence halls. Housing and Residence Life partners with GradGuard to offer renter's insurance to residents. Residents can sign up for GradGuard when submitting their housing application or directly contact GradGuard to purchase renters insurance. Residents are not required to purchase renters insurance, nor are they required to purchase renter's insurance from GradGuard. Renters insurance can usually be added with house insurance or car insurance policies. Additional information about purchasing renter's insurance can be found here.

Residential Adjudication Board banner