Resident Assistants (RAs) and Learning Community Resident Assistants (LC RAs) are academic-year student employees within the Housing and Residence Life (HRL) department who help build, guide, and support a community of residents within the residence halls at George Mason University. LC RAs serve a special population of students who live in an LC and collaborates with the LC partner on the development of the LC. RAs and LC RAs dedicate their time and energy to the residents of their community, ensuring that students have a healthy, safe, and supportive environment in which to learn and develop. Both positions are expected to be visible in their communities and serve as available resources within their residence hall through peer to peer communication, residential curriculum initiatives and programming. Please see the position descriptions below for more information about the Resident Assistant roles.
A Community Assistant (CA) is an academic-year student employee within Housing and Residence Life (HRL) that helps build, guide, and support a community of residents residing in the residence halls at George Mason University. Community Assistants dedicate their time and energy to the residents of their community by ensuring that residents have a healthy, safe, and supportive environment in which to learn and develop. CAs are expected to assist with overall residential health and safety and provide operational support for the residence halls. Please see the position description below for more information about the Community Assistant role.
RA, CA, LC-RA Process
All applicants must follow the steps below to be considered for a student staff position.
- Read through the position descriptions for the 3 opportunities (RA, LC RA, and CA) and decide on 1 or 2 roles you are most interested in. If you have specific questions about these positions, please reach out to ResStaff@gmu.edu.
- Before you apply, watch the asynchronous info session video available on Mason360. There will be optional live Q&As where interested candidates can ask questions about the positions. Please note that these are not info sessions themselves and all applicants should watch the info session video prior to attending a live Q&A. All virtual Q&A information is available on Mason360 to register.
- Fill out an application on Handshake. The application should take approximately 5 minutes to fill out. You are only able to preference up to 2 positions.
- First round interviews will be conducted via InterviewStream, an online video interview service through GMU Career Services. Instructions on how to complete this will be shared in late November, and candidates will have through January 9th to submit their interview answers on the platform.
- Candidates advancing to the second and final round of interviews will meet virtually with professional or graduate staff members to answer questions relating to the position they are most qualified for.
- All candidates will be updated in late February if they were hired, given a spot on our alternate list, or were not selected this year. Please note that the housing application for next year will close in early February, so any candidate looking to live on campus should still complete an application and follow all of their processes.
If you have any questions about this process, the roles, or anything else, please reach out to ResStaff@gmu.edu.
To hold a Student Staff position, a student must fulfill the following criteria:
- must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student. Students enrolled in more than 18 credits per semester must seek prior approval from their immediate supervisor
-At a minimum, students are required to maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA and a 2.5 semester GPA throughout employment
-Must have reached sophomore standing by the start of employment or completed two (2) academic semesters at Mason
-Must successfully complete a background check before beginning their position
-All Housing and Residence Life student staff are required to uphold and execute all Housing and Residence Life policies
To hold a Student Staff position, a student must fulfill the following co-curricular criteria:
-Ability to commit to the position for a full academic year
-Must remain in good standing with the University and with Housing and Residence Life
Failure to meet any of these requirements may result in termination or rescinding of employment
All applicants must attend an information session. Information can be found on Mason 360.