Coming and Going
All of our residence halls remain open through Thanksgiving Break and Spring Break.
Read More About Hall Closings
All of our upperclass buildings are open over winter break. All of our freshmen buildings, except Taylor, Roosevelt, and Jackson, close for winter break.
If you are assigned to one of the below open buildings, these buildings will remain accessible to residents during winter break. If you plan to remain on campus for the break or just need to grab something from your room, you will need to complete the Access Request Form on StarRez. Students who do not complete the Access Request Form by December 18th must visit an HRL Desk at Eisenhower Hall, Piedmont/Tidewater, or Mason Global Center between 9am-9pm during Winter Break to complete the form and have access restored on their Mason ID Card.
- Liberty Square
- Potomac Heights
- Blue Ridge
- Hampton Roads
- Eastern Shore
- Northern Neck
- Mason Global Center
If you are assigned to any of the below closed buildings, you must leave your building over winter break. All students assigned to the below builidngs must leave the building no later than 24 hours after their last final or 12 noon on Thursday, December 19, 2019 (whichever comes first). No exceptions are made to this policy. If you find that you need to live on campus during winter break, please contact your Community Director to discuss a room change to an open building.
- The Commons
All buildings re-open on Friday, January 17, 2020, at 10:00 AM.
All non-graduating students must completely vacate and check out of their residence hall room no later than 24 hours after their last final or by noon on Thursday, May 16, 2019.
Students participating in Spring Commencement activities on May 17 or 18, may request to extend their stay on campus until Saturday, May 18, at 6 pm at the latest. You will not be allowed to stay beyond 6 pm.
Students assigned to summer school sessions A, D, and 1 and intern housing for summer 2019 will be allowed to extend their stay through Sunday, May 19 when they are allowed to move into their summer assignment.
More information regarding spring closing and extended stay applications will be emailed to all students in April 2019.
Helpful Tips for Closing
Attend your Spring Closing floor meeting to learn more about move-out. Chat with your RA or locate community floor meeting postings for your meeting time and location.
Defrost and clean personal refrigerators at least 24 hours before you move out.
Make sure your room is completely clean, empty, and move-in ready BEFORE your scheduled check-out time. This includes:
- Remove all trash and place it in the dumpsters outside
- Remove all belongings (double-check every drawer)
- Wipe down surfaces
- Clean all surfaces in bathrooms and kitchens
- Close and lock windows
- Close blinds
Know the check-out procedures and policies
- Once all belongings have been moved out of the space, residents will check out at their neighborhood desk:
- Rappahannock Neighborhood: Piedmont Desk
- Shenandoah Neighborhood: Eisenhower Desk
- Aquia Neighborhood: Whitetop Desk
- Mason Global Center: MGC Desk
- Students who choose to leave spaces in unacceptable conditions will be charged for cleaning and/or property removal.
- All residents are expected to vacate their room by Noon on Thursday, May 16, 2019.
Remove your bike and take it home.
Report facilities issues by going to your neighborhood desk for assistance.
Ensure you have removed all laundry from the laundry room.
Return all equipment checked out from the desk (including green bins).
- Begin moving items to your established summer storage/housing location throughout the last part of the spring semester. It’s never too early to start moving unnecessary items out of your room.
- Move belongings in the early morning or late afternoon hours to avoid peak times.
- Do not park in fire lanes, roadways, grass, or other non-parking areas. Vehicles may be towed.
- Utilize moving bins that can be checked out from your neighborhood desk.
- If you check out a moving bin, ensure that you return it within the allotted time frame.
The list below comprises the most common damages and associated fees at the time of closing. This list is not all-inclusive and charges incurred may differ from amounts below depending on the scope of the damages assessed.
|Damage Assessed||Common Amount|
|Bathroom excessive trash||$10.00 minimum|
|Removal of personal belongings/abandoned property||$50.00|
Damage to walls
*students are encouraged to leave 3M strips affixed to walls at no fee in order to avoid damage at the time of removal
|Trash removal,excessive debris||$50.00|
|Improper check-out (failure to follow check-out procedures)||$100.00|
|Key not returned, door recore||$75.00|
Please refer questions regarding damages and billing to your Resident Advisor or Resident Director.
If a student needs to remain on campus after noon on Thursday, May 16th, an Extended Stay Request Form must be submitted.
Reasons to Request Extended Stay:
- Participation in commencement
- Students working in on-campus locations that are impacted by graduation, such as the Bookstore (employer will need to authorize student by emailing Housing at email@example.com).
- Students who are enrolled in Summer Session A, D, or 1 and have a confirmed summer housing assignment.
- Students who have a confirmed housing assignment for intern housing.
- Approved Housing student staff.
Extended Stay Request Form Process:
1. Submit Extended Stay Request Form via StarRez.
2. Email your third-party documentation (flight itinerary, work schedule, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org or turn in a copy of the documentation to your neighborhood desk.
3. A Housing Services Staff member will email approval or denial to each applicant’s Mason email within 72 hours. Please note that students may be asked to provide additional information if requested.
4. If a student is approved, no further action on their part is necessary. Students who are approved for Extended Stay will be charged $50.00 per night. Students participating in commencement will not be charged for Extended Stay.
5. If a student is denied, they must vacate the halls by 12pm (noon) on May 16th. All decisions made by staff regarding Extended Stay are final.
Ask your Resident Advisor or Resident Director.
Call your Neighborhood Desk (link the unlined words here to the neighborhood desk.
|Aquia, Whitetop Desk||703-993-1977|
|Rappahannock, Piedmont Desk||703-993-9880|
Shenandoah, Eisenhower Desk
|Mason Global Center Lobby, Global Center||703-993-6008|